Cheap Travels




     Every summer I have a goal of getting the heck out of town. I don’t hate my hometown. My hometown is actually pretty great, I just like traveling. Here are some ways I have been able to travel affordably or even for free.

How I’ve traveled for free.
     Not everyone is a celebrity or media star with sponsors flying them around the globe. (Really wish I was, would be nice.) However, there are opportunities for us average people to travel for free. Maybe your school has a club or program wanting to take students to another city for a week or two. There are also outside things like leadership camps, internships, or residencies. Last year I did a month long artist residency in NYC and a few years before that a leadership camp in Chicago. Some work was required, but for the most part, I paid little to nothing.

Flying
     Maybe you’ve looked up the cost of traveling from one place to another just for funsies. Plane tickets can be pretty expensive. Layovers can shave off a couple bucks, but a plane ticket could still be between $100-$200. SkyMiles at this point are your best friend if you have some. I recently had to buy round trip tickets and was able to bring the price down from $300 to around $10/$20. A great way to accumulate SkyMiles is to stick to one airline. My family uses Delta.

A great tool to help you book the cheapest flight is Hopper and lets you know when the best time to buy is.

Road Trips
     This might not be as fast, but this could be cheaper than flying if more than one person is traveling. Depending on how far you're going gas, food, and a place to crash will make up most of your expenses. This app, Gas Buddy, tells you pricing on gas stations near you so you can find the cheapest. You could also save money by buying snacks and water bottles in bulk as well as camping in the car. Road Trips are also a great opportunity for car-aoke and to check out some cool spots along the way.

Buses & Trains.
     I have yet to travel by bus or train but I’ve been told that you can save money on a hotel by traveling at night. You can sleep during the ride, then wake up at the next destination ready to do some exploring. I’d definitely suggest having a travel buddy if you use this method, so you could sleep in shifts or have that extra protection.

Travel Tips

Traveling Alone
     I haven’t flown on my own until recently. It can be pretty intimidating not having someone guide you or a friend to help you navigate through a busy airport. In an airport, feel free to ask the workers for help, or even to confirm you did something right. No matter how you're getting to a destination, always makes sure you have someone know you’re traveling and where you are. I suggest checking in often with at least 2 people until you make it to your destination.

Flying Basics
  • Triple check that you have your ID/passport
  • Don’t bring a water bottle, you’ll have to throw it away at security check. However, you can bring an empty refillable bottle then fill it after the checkpoint.
  • Have a marker on your luggage even if you're not checking it in. Sometimes there's not enough space for your carry-on in the smaller planes and they’ll put it in the cargo. This makes it easier to find if you need to get it at baggage claim.
  • When booking a flight, I like having at least an hour layover so I'm not rushing to find my gate and can eat if I need to.
  • Bring earphones to take advantage of in-flight entertainment.
  • 3-1-1 liquids rule: container must be 3 oz or smaller, 1 quart sized (zip lock like) bag, and 1 bag per person.
  • Don’t wear makeup during the flight. You never know if you’ll get a hot or cool plane. I suggest putting on makeup towards the end of your travels.
  • Dress comfy and bring a sweater

     Hope this post was helpful! If there are any tips you would like to add or If there are any travel questions you have, feel free to start a conversation in the comment section below! Know anyone suffering from severe wanderlust? Share this with them! Trying to convince someone to travel somewhere with you? Let them know how easy it is!

Comments


 




Popular posts from this blog

My First Blog

Guide to Saving Money on Textbooks

"What's in My Cart"